Thursday, May 27, 2010

In the works


Just thought I'd check in and let everyone see what is in the works here at The Little Leaf. I have a little guy that's getting close to being finished, but has taken a bit of a backseat to my first big bear. It's been fun creating a bigger guy, but it's been a very different experience from the miniatures. Here are a few things I've learned about bigger bears.

- The ears are much much easier to sew, but equally as difficult to position satisfactorily.
- The nose is still the very hardest part to get right (I still need to tweak this one a bit).
- Much larger needles or a good dose of ingenuity are required.
- It takes more fabric than you would expect (I am going to run out and need to re-order some more...oops!).
- The amount of stuffing that can fit in to a big bear head is just enormous!

Well, that sums it up so far. Next step is the body (the easiest part). Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. Shanna, good for you for trying your first bigger bear and for starting a blog! I love both bears here in your photo. I am a follower of your blog now; you know I have to see what you're up to. :-)

    And your points about bigger bears: too true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This bear is so cute!!!! I think the nose looks perfect. Can't wait to see it finished. I showed it to Dar and she said you are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shanna, the big guy is coming along GREAT! Yeah, you can get a ton of stuffing in a big head can't you. I'm forever buying stuffing. Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shanna!

    I just began to follow your blog too.
    Your big bear has a beautiful head. The nose looks great to my own view point. You did a fantastic scissor sculpting job on this head.

    If that can help, I usually consider using a fat quarter for a big bear 38 cm tall. When I am careful, I have enough left for a small bear about 21,5 cm tall.
    For a bear the size of Tuba (cf on my blog or website), consider buying a half meter (twice bigger), as a fat quarter is not enough.

    Better buying too much than not enough, think you will always find a way to use your remnants!

    Big bear hugs,
    Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!
    Right now he has all his parts, but I don't have the right size joints for him or wiring for hims arms. Hopefully SOMEDAY I will finish him!

    ReplyDelete